Monday 9 March 2009

The Art of the Long Meal

Yesterday Billy spoke on the importance of eating together as a way of creating and building community. For the Jewish home the table is the centre of worship, the place where they celebrate and remember what God has done. Jesus often did miracles around food and ate with people symbolising his acceptance of those perceived to be outcasts of society.

A couple of years ago I spoke about Jesus and his disciples having breakfast on the beach - I remember the talk well as I cooked bacon sandwiches while people listened (and enjoyed the smell!). For me the Last Supper is often remembered as a a very important meal (and it is and was) but we have turned what was a meal with friends into a tokenistic sip of blackcurrant juice and a cracker.

If given the choice between eating the Last Supper with Jesus (and Judas!) or having breakfast on a beach with the boys and the risen Lord Jesus, I think I would go for the latter every time.

Apparently most homes in the UK do NOT have a table that the family can eat round and if they do then I guess a lot don't use them. We had 11 for lunch yesterday (not including Jemimah) and we didn't really finish eating until around 5 and then started making tea! A great time with great friends.

Life is busy and I want to make good use of the time God has given me and so often skip lunch to get more done - but I am challenged this week to spend more time with friends and family over food...

Lunch anyone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes please x

bobweasel said...

Amen brother! So when can we come for dinner? ;)