Monday 15 June 2009

Dedication's what you need...

Yesterday we had our fourth child Jemimah dedicated at Central Hall. It was a perfect day! We had both sides of the family including Lottie's Nan who is 90 and and my Granny who is 93 - amazing! Theo did a great job of leading through the service and friends and family swarmed forward to pray for my beautiful little girl. Friends from our last Church, Arun Community Church had taken time out to come and join us and Rich Hubbard spoke on Faith it was a great time of celebration with the wider church family.

Then it was back to our house for a BBQ with over 50 people crowding our recently re-modelled garden - weather was perfect and the new half price BBQ from Asda passed the test and everyone was fed plenty. We still have loads of salad and pasta in the fridge!

But the thing was on Saturday night I was starting to get concerned that we were making too much effort on the food and tidying the house and garden that we were forgetting the real reason for the day of thanking God for the life of Jemimah. But as I reflected I realised I was just getting a bit religious and not recognising that hosting a party for my daughter, having friends and family all mixed and eating together is very important. The prayers of thanks need to go with the celebrations and so often we put one in a 'spiritual' box and one in a 'worldly' box.

I know God can cope with the complexities, I sometimes wonder if I can? I know that God is as interested in the church service as the party, food and conversation but sometimes I revert to a religious mindset... fortunately I have great friends and family who keep my thinking straight!

Thanks to all those who made the effort to come to Southampton for the day much appreciated...

This week I have several meetings, finalising budget for September, looking through applications for childrens worker post, preparing for speaking on Sunday looking at Values through a Father eyes (its Fathers Day in the UK) and trying to finish my final assignment.

No comments: