Monday 13 July 2009

Leading together?

The last few weeks have been busy trying to ensure everything is ready for the Autumn term before we 'break' for the summer. We have a lot of staff changes coming up which has meant a load of interviews for me to do (thanks Elaine for organising all the detail!). The good news we have some great people joining to replace all the great people leaving the team (all for good reasons - honest!).

Carolyn Chart will be taking on the role of part time paid Childrens Worker from mid-August to continue developing our rapidly growing childrens work at Central Hall. We now have up to 80 children on a Sunday morning which has almost doubled in the last few months. Carolyn comes with loads of experience and will help us ensure that the recent growth will be sustainable in the future.


It has also been announced in the last couple of weeks that Lottie and I will be officially taking responsibility for the morning congregation based at Central Hall as part of the New Community network of churches that is developing here in Southampton. It is a very exciting and daunting season for Lottie and myself as we start to put into place our various teams to take the church forward into the future.

One of our biggest conversations has been about Lotties role. I want her to be part of the leadership team as she adds so much to who I am. Lottie is concerned that she will be seen as just being part of the team because she is my wife. People have made comments about not 'seeing' Lotties contribution (which generally means they have not seen Lottie preach or lead a meeting). What people dont realise is that everything I have ever done has always been discussed through with Lottie, we are meant to one after all. So is it better to recognise her contribution or hide her away knowing that secretly she is providing leadership through me!

The way I see it is like this. If I was left in charge of our home things would be very different. I would probably be more efficient, the house would probably be cleaner, more organised, the walls would be painted magnolia and the place would be minimal and sterile - more like a doctors waiting room than a home. Lottie brings the heart to our home, she makes it unique and welcoming. Whenever we get visitors to our home they comment on how lovely it is and how welcome they feel - none of that is to do with me, it is all Lottie - she is the homemaker.

In the same way when we work together, Lottie brings the heart to the work that we do. If the church was left to me it may become all boxed up, organised and managed - efficient but without heart (bit German maybe?). Lottie ensures that I dont go to the extremes of my character she brings the balance. I need her and the church needs her to lead with me - she may never be 'seen' (although I think she will one day) but her input is invaluable.

Leading together as a married couple maybe a challenge to some but I know (and my true friends know!) that I am a much better leader and person with Lottie than without.

Any thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing to say. written very well - I have absolutely always seen you and Lottie like that. and now being a mum myself I realise how good at it Lottie is. You;ve got a great wife and you are a wonderful team. I've started praying for Nancy's husband already like Lottie's mum :-)Eliz

Rich Lush said...

Fantastic Sim, didn't realise this was all going on, that's great to see that your both being released in that way. I think your completely right about the balance Lottie brings to your own personality, and all leadership team needs that, leadership isn't always speaking in the mic or leading the microphone, but Lottie's love and pastoral nature and sheer example of leading a family is leadership in itself, and leading together brings togetherness and brings different sides to the table in meetings. Be blessed,

Rich Lush