Friday 21 March 2008

GOING BACK

Over the last 2 weeks I have been back to two different places that I used to live before moving to Southampton. Two weeks ago I spoke at a Spurgeons Conference at Wickbourne Centre in Littlehampton talking about developing the relationship between local Churches and local Government Agencies and then last week I preached at The Life Church in Maidstone.

Bizarrely I moved to Maidstone when I was 11, Littlehampton at 22 and Southampton at 33!!

Going back is a strange mix of emotions. It's great to see friends and catch up on all that's been happening, but it was sad to see things that had changed and not always for the better (don't get me wrong there are loads of great things happening as well...). To hear various stories of damaged relationships and to see things that once were great not have the life and energy that once existed is hard to understand.

I know that we have to move on and life is a journey and we shouldn't look back, but naively I thought that when God had his hand on something that it would go from strength to strength and the only way is up!!! I know that I am one of those annoyingly positive people who thinks anything is possible and that you can do anything you want (whether you should is another matter!) but seeing how something is now that used be so different plays with your head...

I want to develop great church and do something today that isn't just great for a season but provides foundations that provide a platform for future generations to do even greater things - as a preacher once said " are you willing to plant an acorn today that will provide the shade of an oak tree that you will never benefit from?"

I guess looking over your shoulder is good to do from time to time as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on what God has put in front of you...

No comments: