Wednesday 12 March 2008

THE KING OF ALL ICEBREAKERS?


I've seen it all now... Yesterday we had a "staff retreat" at Central Hall where we talked about the vision and the strategy of New Community and where we were heading. I found it very useful time and very well facilitated. But...

...the highlight of the day had to be when we were asked, as both an icebreaker and a meditation, to write a psalm line by line as a team - a bit like spiritual consequences. You know, you write a line pass on the paper and the next person adds their line.
I guess I was a little tired and not quite as prepared as King David to write a psalm so when the guy next to me writes: "I dived into the sea of tranquility", I wrote "and then realised I had forgotten my towel" next line that came along was: "I washed my face with tears of joy", so again I wrote "and I still had no towel" it didn't get any better when I received: "I shouted into the depths of despair", and lacking any spiritual insight I wrote: "and all I got was an echo, echo, echo..." and lastly:
"I faced the long and winding road ahead of me", I couldn't help but add "so I turned on my GPS for guidance".

I know, I know - immature but funny. One day I'll grow up!

Don't you just love icebreakers and group work? I wonder what God thinks?

2 comments:

Mark Robins said...

I seem to remember that the GPS line was mine, actually - plagiarist!

Sim said...

you have such a bad memory, Mark!!! like I say "Never let the truth spoil a good story"...