Monday 23 March 2009

Time to get Fit?

Last Tuesday I had an eye opening day. At lunchtime a colleague kindly rubbed my belly and asked me if I was putting on weight, I laughed it off and thanked them for their ministry of encouragement. That afternoon a church member popped into the office and laughing heartily rubbed my belly and asked the same question! I laughed along but this time a little more nervously - and more importantly why did everyone think it was ok to touch my belly? If I was under 16 I would have reported them!

Anyway convinced that it was all in their heads and I was super fit and fine - I went home to ask my always supportive and encouraging wife what she thought of these ridiculous claims. Her words to me were "I wasn't going to say anything, but..." - OKAY STOP!!! maybe I needed to do something about it...

Next morning I went for a 30 minute run which almost finished me off, especially as we live on a hill and the last bit was a killer! Friday I did 45 minutes and started to enjoy the run, but Saturday everything ached. On Sunday a member of the Church came to see me after the service and said that they were a Personal Trainer and they wanted to "sow into my life" so could they offer me some one to one training?

hmmm, maybe God is saying something??

Recently God has been speaking to me about getting Spiritually Fit. I study for my preaching and study academically for my theology course but where was my personal development time? Leaders are great at leading others, but the biggest struggle is leading yourself. So many Leaders fail and damage the trust others hold in them because of failing to lead themselves, somehow they exclude themselves from the standards they set for others.

I used to make the excuse to God that I had four kids and a busy life doing good things and working for Him and that my time was always His time. But that's not true - my time is my time and I need to make a commitment to use my time effectively for Him, not just assume it to be so.

So for just over a week I have been getting up an hour earlier and using the time to get myself prepared for the day before the day takes care of me. Part of the reason for blogging again has been to reflect on my week ahead but reflection is becoming a daily exercise. The stakes are getting higher and I believe that God is preparing me and challenging me for all that is ahead.

Watch this space as the Super Fit (spiritually and physically!) Sim appears...

maybe I should do before and after shots? :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

shots are fattening!

You are gorgeous!!! I love you just as you are ;) (you're not fat!) Lx

Luke Strickland said...

Hey Sim, glad to see you back in blog-land - am enjoying reading your regular monday posts.. keep up the good work on the training front! Luke