Monday 6 April 2009

Good Morning, Guten Morgen, Bon Matin...

Yesterday at Church two seperate people came up to me, concerned that I was working too hard and that I should take a day off. Fortunately I had already planned to take today as a day off with the family as the kids are off school for Easter Holidays - and so I was able to appease them quickly! So apologies for the late blog for those who have been in touch exasperated by my slackness - I'm taking a day off alright!!!!!!! :o)

This morning I took my regular run out into Manor Country Park and then as I was enjoying it so much I pushed it a bit further and managed just under 5 miles. For the first part of the run I met a number of dog walkers in the park, mainly aged 50+, of which all greeted me and said "Good Morning!". At first I was surprised by the friendliness of the early morning walkers but soon got into the swing of smiling and greeting people that I came across. Until that it is I ran past a young girl on a bike, said "Good Morning!" and she looked at me as if I had come from another planet (I was pretty sweaty by this point, but still...) then I saw a teenage lad hiking into the woods and tried again, this time I was completely blanked!!

What a weird lot we are! Lottie is reading a book at the moment called "Watching the English", a book that explains our unique habits and the unsaid protocols of todays British culture. Foreigners have no chance to work out our nuances, we dont even know we have them, but they are there! you know "Habits, what habit?" or "We don't have an accent you do!" kind of thing. But as you read the book it points out hundreds of subtle behaviours of the everyday Briton - most of them not good - funny but also a little cringeworthy...

Last night we took the family up to Hillsong London at the invitation of a friend of mine to see how they do things which was some experience. Apart from arriving late due to a two hour traffic jam on Hammersmith Flyover and getting fined for parking in a residents bay on a Sunday, it was an awesome experience and the kids loved it!

But the thing that really got me, besides the incredible production of the worship service was the welcome that we recieved. When we realised we were going to be late I got a phone call from Lea, part of the 1200 strong voluntary team to see if we were ok. When we eventually arrived we had people opening doors,helping with buggies, offering support and generally making us feel incredibly welcome. It was the same through out the time with them, we took our kids to the kids programme and the team there learnt their names and included them and made them feel really special - brilliant. At the end of the night, my friend who had been involved in presenting the packed evening service for over 2500 people, came and found me and my family and insisted on walking us back to where we had parked our car (now with extra ticket on window!) - a great example and proves that it can be done, we can be friendly if we want to be, just need to break some of cultural barriers that we use as excuses!

On the way home, Levi announced that it had been the best day of his life! Some statement considering we had spent over 6 hours of it in the car. I feel challenged once again to ensure that when I meet people they know that their day has been that much better because of the way I spoke to them, treated them and cared for them - whoever they might be (Matt 25).

This week I am cramming all my work into Tuesday and Wednesday, taking Thursday off again and then hosting a Good Friday evening event and our joint Easter Sunday Service (more info at www.newcommunity.org.uk). Its Holy Week - a time to remember and a time to rejoice...

1 comment:

Mark Robins said...

1200 volunteers?? Man!! Bring on THAT day!